The Cambridge Early Years Teaching School Alliance offers training for Early Years Teacher Status (EYTS).

  • One year course to gain EYTS
  • Graduate employment based route
  • Tuition delivered in Cambridgeshire (venue tbc)

EYTS will give you the opportunity to progress in your workplace through from room leader, to senior management positions. It will enable you to apply for manager/lead practitioner posts in other Early Years Settings and employment in the Foundation Stage of Primary Schools.

The Early Years Teacher Status programme offered by Cambridge Early Years Teaching School works in partnerships with Chelmsford Primary SCITT who are the regional accreditors for this qualification.

The students who are being mentored by CEYTS this year are all on target to achieve good or outstanding course grades at the end of their course in July 2020.

Enjoying Reading

Our course offers:

  • Payment of your tuition fees and a financial incentive to your employment setting from the government of £7000 to support you to complete the programme.
  • The course has a strong focus on developing leadership and improving outcomes for children.
  • Personalized support throughout the programme from our lead consultants, course tutors, external and setting based mentors
  • Experience in contrasting setting/schools to support your development and extend your pedagogy and practice
  • Opportunities to meet and network with a wide range of other professionals
  • High quality professional development/training days led by enthusiastic, highly experienced tutors and expert practitioners

Course work includes:

  • Written assignments on Attachment, Sustained Shared Thinking and Literacy
  • A mini ‘change project’, this takes place in your additional placement setting and involves introducing an activity or changing practice in a small way that has impact on the children’s progress
  • A ‘change project’ that takes place in your home setting.
  • The completion of a setting plan – that records the changes that you make and evidences your skills in leadership and setting development
  • Compiling a portfolio that contains evidence of your practice and skills against the Early Years Teachers Standards (Trainees are required to provide evidence of excellent ‘hands on practice’ with the children, and additionally are expected to provide evidence of leading and supporting practice, inspiring and motivating their colleagues through modelling and making positive innovations to improve practice)

Evidencing your development and programme requirements include:

  • 2-3 observations of your practice per term made by your setting mentor and/or jointly with your allocated external mentor across age phases
  • Attending CPD days (1 per month) to extend your knowledge, bring you up to date with current theory and practice and give you the opportunity to network with other trainees and discuss issues with the lead consultants
  • Completion of the required number of hours worked in your additional early years placement (for the equivalent of 6 weeks/30days),  and a 2-week placement in Key Stage 1 classroom, with a 1 day visit to a Key Stage 2 classroom

Financial support

A financial incentive of £7000 is paid to your employer and this is to fund the trainee to meet the placement requirements above. An additional requirement is that the trainee’s timetable should be no more than 90% of their full time working hours. The remaining 10% should be used to support trainees to complete the course requirements.